Austin Chaz Line

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Echo Red to Red

Oh boy...Where do I even start? It seems so long ago...That's probably because it was, I may or may not have been slacking on this blog, but hey all that matters is I'm writing it right now right? This was the earliest mountain bike race I've done ever! Usually I wait until Hornings Hustle, which is usually a month later than this race, but it got cancelled this year. I decided to see where my form was for so early in the season, and in base mode. So we (Shane,Sean,Bob,Brian, and I) headed out for the first mountain bike race of the year on the OBRA calender.

After some long hours in the car, and some nap time for yours truly we were there in the dark, and a group of us saddled up for a little bit of pre riding during the night. It was the first time I've ever ridden during the night, so let's just say on unfamiliar trails I was often off the trail more than I was on it. By the time we got back it was time to get some shut eye for we had to race the next day!

Race Day! Um was I ready for it? Debatable...Was I going to give it all I had? Of course! It starts off with a neutral roll out of town and then becomes fierce once we hit the gravel road as it's no longer neutral. If there's one thing I noticed it was mountain bikers could use some lessons in pack riding from road racers...It was a bit sketchy...With all the slowing down, and speeding up...But everyone was able to survive the NEUTRAL roll out for the most part. Then it was on to the said gravel road where the pace ramped up to mach 10. Fortunately I was able to use my road racing experience to get myself in position in the lead group, but that didn't last long as soon as we hit some singletrack the field pretty much got obliterated.  I was still feeling good, and made quite a few passes to move up in the field. I knew I was doing pretty good in my category because I was up there with some uber fast guys for the first 1/2 of the race. There was one variable at this race though...The wind! It was insane if you didn't pedal on a downhill you would slow down. That's how strong it was out there.

So yeah about that first half of the race...It was fantastic! Then I decided it would be a fun time to bonk right about now. I mean who wants to end up on the podium anyways? So the last half of the race I just tried to survive with my energy supplies depleted. I didn't survive very well apparently as I slid from a definite podium to a mid pack result. Something I'm not to proud of since it was my fault for bonking. (Note to self, start eating more during races) When ya bonk super bad ya get the weirdest out of body feeling ever. You lose all motivation to pedal, and even on the downhill leading into the finish I had absolutely ntohing left to pedal. Luckily the wind was a tail wind at that section and let me coast into the finish quite nicely. Not exactly the finish I was looking for, but it's a start, and another learning experience...Something I always usually get a healthy doses of during the racing season.

So that was Echo....I promise I will do better there next season!

Next up: Mudslinger.....

No comments:

Post a Comment